We are past week 8 for our CSA. We had some issues at the beginning (really before the beginning) that made us delay the start by two weeks. We still got it all rolling in May (which was the goal, since most other truly local CSA’s don’t start till June) so that was a success. Although the garden plan didn’t take into account the off farm job, and the impact that had on the seeding schedule, things are rolling along. We still have 17 more weeks go to, and we are just now seeding some things for near the end of the CSA for this summer. Until this week, we have been considering the shares “half shares”. Week 6 is the first share that we would consider full sized. Now for a little show and tell.
We are finishing up the work on our pricing and options for the 2016 season. Sign up forms will be on-line soon! Options to include farm fresh meat are part of the mix… Whole Diet CSA. We are also talking about a fall CSA. A little more laid back (bi-weekly pickup?), with a per week rate if a hard freeze ends the season before we expect it to. It would be a bit of a test run, with one season of a CSA under our belt, and having enjoyed winter greens through the new year this last season, we are as ever, optimistic! There is also the thought in the back of this farmer’s mind, that if it went well, as in, better than he optimistically hopes it might, the full time farming timetable might get move up a bit. There are still some capitalization hurdles to get over, but hope is what drives us.